There are lots of ways you can secure your home to prevent criminals from gaining entry and stealing your possessions. Take 15 minutes and give your house a self-assessment using this guide by Secured by Design for lots of simple tips.
How To Improve Your Home Security
- Follow our advice to decide what elements you need to improve in your home
- If your budget is limited, focus on doors, locks, windows and perhaps a small safe for your valuables
- Always identify 2 or 3 companies that provide the security you need to compare quality and price
- Choose a supplier by:
- Looking for products with the Secured by Design Police Preferred Specification logo, as these meet our high standards
- Recommendation from friends
- A member of a nationally recognised organisation specialising in security
- Check ID before allowing visitors into your home
- Suggest areas of home security you would like to improve to your potential suppliers and ask for a written quote detailing the work and the cost. Compare prices with competitors before agreeing
- Save money by using your DIY skills to fit approved products
- Never discuss your security needs with doorstep or telephone callers
- Do not agree to work without a written quote detailing the work and cost
- You should not disclose personal information like health problems or high risk items including jewellery until you have decided on your supplier and believe it’s essential for their work
- Under no circumstances go to your bank or cash machine with an installer or salesman.
- Only pay for the work once the job is completed to your satisfaction. You can ask a friend or family member for a second opinion.
If you need to reply regarding this message, click on this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Engagement Officer