South Staffs Council News 206
This week’s news from around the Council.
- COVID-19 update – Key Messages
- We’re still in a national lockdown. It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of your household or support bubble. It’s really tough, but if we all follow the rules, we can help reduce the spread and save lives.
- We all need to continue to follow guidance on Hands. Face. Space. This will help to keep you and others safe – even if you’ve had the vaccine.
- If you are making essential visits to places where there are other people, get rapid tested regularly.
- If you’re worried about getting tested for Covid-19 and having to self-isolate, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 through the Test and Trace support payment scheme.
- You cannot leave home for recreational or leisure purposes (such as for a picnic or a social meeting).
- The police can take action against you if you meet in larger groups. This includes breaking up illegal gatherings and issuing fines.
- Stay at home and if you do need to go out for essentials, remember, Hands. Face. Space. Test.
- Did you know that you must still follow guidance around #HandsFaceSpace even if you’ve had your Covid-19 vaccine? Wear a face covering, keep your distance and wash your hands regularly.
- Click here for more information on #doingourbit to stop the spread.
- Workplace transmissions has been highlighted as an area of concern. The Office of National Statistics will be publishing data on this.
- Vaccinations – there is, nationally, a very low uptake of the COVID-19 Vaccination amongst the BAME groups. Please encourage people from these groups to take the vaccination.
- The Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Elections, the County Council Elections and Local By-Elections.
On Thursday 6 May 2021 residents in South Staffordshire will have their say on who represents them at the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Elections, the County Council Elections and Local By-Elections. Voters will have a choice between in person and absent voting. Postal and proxy voting will be supported, and proxy voting rules changed so that those affected by Covid-19 in the days before the poll can still vote. The Government is setting out how existing public health regulations and guidance apply to essential voting activities and will be publishing additional guidance on the specific application of social distancing and other regulations to their activities, including nominations and campaigning.
South Staffordshire’s Elections team are already working on plans to help residents stay safe while casting their vote. A series of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the upcoming elections have been published on the Council Website. The website will be updated with further information as it becomes available. Information can also be found on the website of the Electoral Commission.
- Community Safety – Catalytic Converter theft is on the increase in the district. It only takes a few seconds for criminals to saw them off. They are targeted for the metals they contain which includes palladium and platinum which has a growing value and can be re-used in jewellery.
Please share the information to residents and through your contacts on social media.
- Action for Children Survey
This Action for Children survey is specifically for young people, so please share this with your family and friends, your children and grandchildren and encourage them to have their say by taking part in this survey.
Action for Children, Children’s Emotional Well-being Service for Staffordshire, have created a survey for young people in Staffordshire to have their say on how they would like to receive information regarding Emotional and Well-being issues they might face. Action for Children are looking at developing their website and social media to ensure that it’s easily accessible and has the information that young people need.
Please find the link below. The closing date is 22nd February 2021
- Council Job Vacancies – Upcoming Vacancies
- Career Graded Senior Planning Officers x2
- Senior Arboricultural Officer
- Strategic Projects Assistant Team Manager
- Next week’s Council Committee/Panel meetings
- Full Council – Tuesday 23 February 2021 – 7.00 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams.
- Personal Development Review and Appointments Panel – Thursday, 25 February 2021 – 12.30 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams
- Lottery Advisory Panel – Thursday, 25 February 2021 – 3.00 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams
Members of the public can virtually attend these meetings via Microsoft Teams. In the news section at the bottom of the Council’s website, you will find the relevant news item that will include a link to enable you to join.
Everyone is encouraged to submit news items, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org